John Klymshyn, President of The Business Generator, Inc., lists common mistakes sales managers make. They are:
- Thinking that salespeople are continually motivated.
- Thinking that salespeople can sustain their momentum.
- Thinking that their salespeople do not need nurturing or guidance.
- Thinking their salespeople are completely self-sustaining and sufficient.
- Assuming that salespeople have all the answers.
- Assuming that their salespeople have mastered the skills required to sell effectively.
And the biggest mistake of all:
- Changing commitments and not following through (I will visit with you on such a date, and then postponing or not making it at all.)
No matter how you rationalize it, this tells the salespeople that they or their work are not priorities for you.